WNiF caught up with Blackmores Wellbeing Coach Bec Wilcock, to find out her top 15 running and recovery tips.
6 TIPS PREPARING TO RUN A MARATHON
- I think it is very important to have a well-structured program. Whether you’re training to stay in shape or for a big event like a marathon, a planned out program can keep you on the right track.
- Know each week what time of day you like to train. If you are a morning person schedule your gym or running session in the morning, otherwise have your fitness party in the evening after work.
- Trial your pre-race meal during training sessions ahead of the event. Find out what you can run on that doesn’t upset your stomach. For me, I love avocado on toast or a banana smoothie.
- Find a training buddy. Working out with others helps to keep it fun and builds some friendly competition.
- Find out what motivates you! I personally like to listen to music which motivates me to get out the door and power through my run.
4 WAYS TO RECOVER AFTER AN EXCESSIVE WORKOUT
- Fuel your body with the right nutrients post workout with a balance of protein, carbohydrates and good fats, and keep up hydration! My favourite meal is chicken avocado salad with sweet potato.
- Hydration is key!! It is important to keep your fluids up.
- Stretch! Most people (including myself) don’t stretch after a big workout because they are so exhausted! How many times have you said to yourself “I will stretch when I get home” and you don’t…GUILTY! Take 10 minutes to stretch post your workout and your body will thank you for it, I promise.
- Have a recovery day. This will prevent injury, give your muscles the rest they need and reduce the risk of overtraining. I also take Blackmores Muscle Magnesium on most days to help with supporting muscle health and muscle repair.
5 WAYS TO EASE MUSCLE SORENESS
- Make the foam roller your best friend – it will hurt but your muscles will thank you later!
- Take Blackmores Super Magnesium Plus, which helps aid muscle repair and recovery. This is especially important if you exercise a lot and find yourself getting muscle cramps or spasms.
- Have an Epsom salt bath to relax your body and mind.
- Treat yourself to a professional sports massage.
- Jump in the ocean, there is no better feeling!
Visit http://Run.Blackmores.com.au for tips and tricks on how Blackmores can keep you running.
Bec Wilcock is a Blackmores Wellbeing Coach, a Nike trainer an extreme athlete, and the founder of Love Me Fit. You can follow Bec at www.instagram.com/becwilcock