The average Australian visits their doctor seven times every year, and with our latest life expectancy exceeding 82 years, that’s an enormous 574 doctors appointments in our lifetime.
According to Sheila Zhou, expert Scientist at USANA, leading producer of high quality supplements, “Nobody enjoys getting sick, and whether it happens during summer or winter, it’s still something everyone wants to avoid. Many people believe that getting sick is just a part of life, which often it is, however there are numerous things you can do to throughout the year to stay illness free.”
- Take them off. It might sound trivial, but shoes can be the cause of many sicknesses. They often carry harmful residues, such as chemical pesticides, so when they are worn or brought inside they can expose us to damaging toxins. So just by kicking your shoes off at the door you could be saving yourself from getting sick.
- Laugh. Having a giggle is one of the best things you can do when it comes to staying healthy. Laughing alone boosts immunity, strengthens the heart, and improves lung function – along with numerous other healthy benefits! On a more long term scale, laughter actually releases neuropeptides which help fight stress and potentially more serious illnesses, so the more you laugh the better.
- Pick your defense. We all know what we eat plays a huge part in our health, but there are numerous products we consume that impact our levels of wellbeing. Supplements, such as Vitamin D, are simple and effective ways to ensure our immune system is able to ward off illnesses, and when consumed with a balanced diet, they make for a winning combination.
- Try it cold. Exposure to cold water is known to increases metabolic rate. Once cold water hits your skin, it stimulates certain brain activities. Brief cold shower reduces production of serotonin and felling of fatigue. It also stimulate a sympathetic nervous system and increase endorphin level, therefore may help boosting your feel-good mood.
- Be different. Changing up your workout routine is a great way to keep both your body and mind functioning at its best. Many people make the mistake of getting stuck in a particular exercise pattern, but varying what you do each session strengthens different muscles groups, , boost performance, prevents boredom, and keep you more focused.
- Put your hand up. If intensive exercise routines aren’t for you, never fear, stretching also goes a long way in keeping you safe from sickness. Not only does stretching prevent injury by lengthening your muscles and tendons, but it also improves your circulation, releases tension and increases energy levels.
- Get cracking. Visiting a chiropractor can be a great preventative measure in maintaining your health as it inhibits spinal degeneration, restores normal nerve supply, improves immunity, allows better sleep, whilst also slowing the aging process down. Alternative medicine practices, such as acupuncture, can also be effective ways to maintain sustainable physical health and increase mental clarity.
To view the full range of USANA Health Sciences nutritional, weight management and personal care products click here.