Athletes reveal future of sport in Oakley video series
World leader in sports technology and active eyewear, Oakley, opens the door into the future of cycling, snowboarding and surfing as it unveils the ground-breaking Oakley Future Sport Project video series.
Released today on Oakley’s YouTube channel, the video series is a collaborative glance into the future of sports technology as seen by surfing prodigy Jack Robinson, Olympic snowboarder Scotty James and three of Australia’s most visionary product design experts. Each of the three documentary style videos follow the collaborators’ journeys, as they challenge expectations, push potential innovation boundaries and predict the future of sport.
Looking into the future of surfing, the second video sees 16-year-old surfing prodigy, Jack Robinson, team up with Airbag Labs to create a shape shifting surfboard that offers riders greater adaptability and manoeuvrability. Key features of the concept that you’ll see in Jack’s video include:
- Ability to dial surfboard into any shape while on the water.
- Large voice activated and touch sensitive display.
- Made of superlight, conductive Aerographen – the lightest material ever created – and powered by a series of fast charge, solar powered lithium-ion micro-batteries.
- Three carbon fibre fins which can be retracted into the board, giving surfers the option to ride with 1, 2 or 3 fins.
- A flexible, transparent and super strong encasement which seals the board and creates a perfect surface with excellent grip – no wax required.
Completing the set of videos is Olympic snowboarder Scotty James, who partnered with leading wearable tech company Wearable Experiments (We:eX) to create a snowboard flying jacket. Key features detailed in Scotty’s video include:
- A turbine structure built through the back of a customised snowboarding jacket
- Use of wind force and trajectory from a half-pipe jump to accelerate the rider and increase the amount of time and distance in the air
- 9-axis mention sensors control the jacket to give situational awareness and increase the number of flips and spins or return the rider to the ground safely
- Made from lightweight metal polymer.