FILEX 2014 saw the launch of Network’s GO FOR IT movement – mobilising the fitness industry as agents of change to lead the movement, as role models demonstrating to Australians how fitness and health enable you to GO FOR IT in life, and as mentors of fitness students so they can GO FOR IT in their study, career and lives.
- Health crisis in Australia – rising obesity and heart disease, mental health and stress, and associated illness and apathy
- Demand for fitness professionals – we need to increase the workforce by 50% over the next 5 years
- Enhance reputation of the fitness industry – ensuring the quality of graduates and continuous education
- Support fitness students into the workforce – 50% drop out after 2 years because they feel isolated and don’t have the skills to run a business
- Fulfilment of fitness professionals – in our survey last year, you told us you want to be more fulfilled in your careers and desired more leadership and mentoring opportunities.
This is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for. You are in a unique position to do something about the health crisis, as a trainer, coach and role model. You also have the experience of building a successful fitness career to share with up-and-coming fitness professionals.
For over 25 years, it has been Network’s core purpose to support the careers of fitness professionals to help them be the best they can be. That’s why we’re starting a movement and encouraging you to become a mentor – to be more fulfilled in your career by supporting the next generation of fitness professionals.
GO FOR IT as a Mentor
What does it involve? Support students through their studies and help them to smoothly transition into the workforce. Share your experience and insights, motivation and communication techniques, business and marketing skills. You would coach, guide and assist – not teach or assess.
What’s in it for you? $70 per one hour session, 5-10 sessions per student in a 6-12 month period. You can mentor one student or many, depending on your availability and the number of students in your area.
What criteria do you need to meet? You’ll need unrestricted gym access, fitness qualifications and have been in the industry for at least 2 years. We’re looking for people who are passionate, great communicators, reliable and committed.
What now? Fill in the application form online. Your application form will be assessed against the criteria. You’ll be contacted in early May and need to be available for online training in late May, ready to start mentoring in July. For more details and to apply go to www.fitnessnetwork.com.au/mentor
For more information or to sign up to be a Mentor and #GOFORIT contact Australian Fitness Network.