Christmas is probably the most challenging day of the year when it comes to eating well. Weight loss expert Kylie Ryan gives us her top tips for keeping your motivation in check this festive season:
1. Get really clear on why you want to stay healthy and slim this Christmas, without a BIG why, the cake will come tempting. You need a really good reason to say no. Ask yourself why do I really want to be slim and healthy until you get an answer that no piece of cake could argue with. Maybe you want to live a long and healthy life so you can enjoy your grandchildren in years to come, maybe you don’t want to be forced into dramatic weight loss surgery – or hey, maybe because you want to look fantastic in that bikini – choose your reason and remember it next time the chips and dip come around.
2. Make a decision about what you are going to eat and drink before you walk into a Christmas party. If your gran makes an amazing cake, and you want some, decide that you will have some of that, and then don’t eat other sweets or chips. It’s your indecision that leads to overeating. Decide beforehand, and practice your response when someone offers you something. Repeat after me – “No thank you. It looks delicious, but I’m full.” Say it with clear voice and a friendly smile but don’t leave any room for arguments.
3. Stay away from the snack and chips tables. Get yourself a drink, take a deep breath and go and talk to someone. If you’re a bit shy, remember that nobody wants to be alone at a party – your friendly approach might be a lifesaver to someone else! If you see someone alone, go up to them and introduce yourself. You could start off by asking my favourite party line – “So tell me, what are you passionate about?”
4. Resist the temptation to try everything at a smorgasbord. Remember your portion sizes, why you are staying healthy and keep your plate small. When you first get the thought, I’m full. Stop eating.
5. Drink water. Wine spritzers are a great way to look festive without over-drinking. Limit your alcohol to 2 standard drinks. If you think you’ll be tempted, drive to the event, so there is no option to drink too much.
6. Get some exercise in with your family and visiting relatives. Soccer, cricket, running around with toddlers are all fun family games that will help you to break a sweat and keep fit.
Kylie Ryan is Australia’s leading weight loss motivation expert, leading the revolution of inspired, action taking women creating health from the inside out. Kylie inspires women around the world via her highly successful weight loss mindset blog mymindcoach.com.au, and creates mind-blowing transformations through her amazing Goddess Body Quest 8-week mindset program.